We hope you like our reviews and the products we feature. Just FYI, Comparetea collects a share of sales from the links on this post, which supports our work.
If you're looking for tea that's mellow and refreshing, white peony (Bai MuDan) is what you need. Popular for its flavor and health benefits, this white tea comes from unopened tea leaves and fresh buds.
Today, we're reviewing Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) from Teavivre. This is part of the Featured Tea Sampler Gift pack we bought from them.
- Name:Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea 2016
- Brand: Teavivre (Distributed by Teas and Thes)
- Origin: Mt. Taimu, Fuding City, Fujian Province, China
- Flavor Profile: Fresh, mellow, and slightly sweet
- Caffeine Content: Low (about 10% of a cup of coffee)
- Steeping Instructions:
- Western Brew: Use two grams of Organic White Peony tea leaves (about three teaspoons) and steep for five to eight minutes at 185-degree Fahrenheit (85-degree Celsius) to make 12 ounces (355 ml) of tea.
- Gongfu Way: Use five grams of Organic White Peony tea leaves and steep for 20s,30s,40s,60s,80s at 85-degree Fahrenheit (85-degree Celsius) to make 3.8 ounces (110 ml) of tea.
- Price: Between $2 and $120.90 depending on package size and type
White Peony Tea Leaves
The pack has stalks and leaves in varying shades of green —mostly dark green and grey green. The dry leaves have a delicate, floral aroma with a hint of sweetness. In addition, the aroma has a characteristic of freshness like a very subtle grassy scent.
The steeped leaves, on the other hand, have a more grassy aroma.
Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea
We brewed two grams of Organic White Peony tea leaves for seven minutes and we got a cup of bright, golden yellow tea. Its aroma is a bit grassy with some floral hints.
We liked that the tea is thin and mellow in the mouth. The Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea from Teavivre also has a sweet aftertaste that stays for a while in the back of your mouth.
We did a second steeping and surprisingly, we liked it better than the first. Although the second steeping gave us a much lighter flavor, there was minimal aftertaste, which we appreciated.
The aroma and flavor of Teavivre's Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea are very relaxing. If you're winding down for the day, this tea could really set the mood.
Is this tea for you? Light-flavored tea isn't for everyone. And white tea's most notable characteristic is its mellow flavor. This is a great everyday nighttime tea if you like mellow-flavored teas or if you're looking to add a lighter-flavored tea in your growing tea collection.
Looking for other white peony tea reviews? Check out our review on Shine Wing Tea's First-Grade White Peony Tea.